roses

roses

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Vintage Hats and the Modern Woman. Plus Pinup Girl Clothing's New California Line and Dapper Day!



We all know it's been forever since my last post; oh well, deal with it. School is time consuming. Regardless, I wanted to do a post about vintage hats. This sparked from my love of hats and my perusing them on Etsy for hours on end. This also kind of ties in with Dapper Day, but also is hopefully helpful for anyone who's interested on any old day.
So I tried to track down a few vintage articles with show you how to style your hats, and found none. I did find this adorable website that helps with choosing a vintage hat, but nothing really on how to style them or what to wear them with.
Because I had planned on wearing mine to Dapper Day, the usual rules do not apply, and those 
rules are as follows:
Rule 1: Fur, Feathers and Veils are all considered formal and should be treated as such.
Rule 2: Anything thing with faux fruit can be considered formal, but usually isn't so, wear away!
Rule 3: Always pick according to face shape! Round faces avoid anything with too much trim, longer faces avoid anything too tall.
Rule 4: Match Accessories!!
And so on...
For some brief hat history click here!!
I've been wearing hats since middle school, but usually a more masculine type, so switching to a feminine look is tough for me. Now you might be asking..."hmm, what do you wear with vintage hats? DUH! Vintage clothing!"
But for a larger girl like myself, we don't have a lot of options. I am limited to reproductions, unfortunately. 
So because I am obsessed with a veiled look, that's kind of what I'm going for and stumbled across this beauty on Etsy:


This is from FabGabs and is not that expensive! I love the neutral tones, most veiled hats are black (refer back to Rule 1) and this one is lovely and muted and just to die for!!

So I thought to myself, well what the fuck do I pair it with? Honestly, a Pinup Girl Clothing gown came to mind, it's this one:

It's a new dress from PUG, it's the Laura Byrnes California Beatrix Gown in Emerald Green Velvet.
I would probably add some emerald shoes, do gold-ish accessories and jewelry.  Perfect for Dapper Day, all I need is a coat or cape or something to wear over it, cause I have no doubt in my mind it will either 1)Rain or 2) be Very Very Cold on Dapper Day.
And then, of course there is the Gia:

This is also a new dress from PUG, it is the Laura Byrnes California Gia Gown in Mustard Gold. I thought for this one, more emerald accessories, and Pinup Girl has soo many cute and lovely jewelry options right now that would go beautifully. 
But I still feel like these are maybe a little too formal for the hat itself, and have come up with a couple of other ideas, all from Pinup Girl Clothing, cause they're New and Coming Soon sections are giving me life right now!


So this is is the Malia Top in Gold and the Midi Point Skirt in Wine, which also comes in black, and these are two of my favorites right now! I cannot wait till they hit the site, they are currently in the Coming Soon section. 





These are the Doris Pants in Chocolate Brown Crepe, and I'm super excited about these as well. Pants are traditionally not formal, but for Dapper Day they'd be perfect and comfy!
Side Note: I really love how PUG is naming some cool 1940's inspired pieces after Doris Mayday, if you follow her Instagram, which I do, you see notice how she is dressing more and more 40's and 30's lately. When I interviewed with her a few months back, she was wearing the most amazing 1930's vintage collared dress ugh! It was gorgeous!


This is the Gilda Gown in the latest Brown hue, there is also a matching cape available!
  I love this for Dapper Day!









This is another dress that would go perfectly with the hat above. It's the Rachel Dress in Olive Crepe, this one also comes in black, and considering the fact that my name is Rachel, I think this is a must buy!!


Also, here are the Butterfly Dresses in Spiderweb and Moth print. I adore these prints and the style is very versatile!




So this dress is the Flutter By Dress is Butterfly print, super 40's and adorable. I really want to do something more 40's or 30's for Dapper Day, and a full length chiffon-y dress like this one is the easiest way to do it!



Last, but certainly not least, have you seen PUG's new turbans!!?!?!?!?
I nearly died when I saw these, they come in fabrics that match several dresses and skirts, but also in a simple black. This is my absolute favorite item so far, and if the aforementioned hat gets bought before I can save up the dough, well these turbans will be a sweet as pie consolation prize.



So, I done a little bit of research on what to wear with a vintage hat, I do want to discuss this more, so post your outfits or ideas below and I'll keep you updated on any and all ideas that occur, until than, here's some vintage hat inspiration, and as always, sign up for emails and get one the wait list for these awesome items at Pinup Girl Clothing.com 

Below are also some picks of past Dapper Days and some great current vintage girl doing wonders with vintage hats, please tag anyone I did not give credit to. Thanks!
-R























































No comments:

Post a Comment