roses

roses

Monday, September 22, 2014

Loci hodierno

Today's Topics, in all it's random-ness: 21st Birthdays; Mia Wallace/Bettie Bangs; Sweater Weather; Halloween, and possibly a mystery topic, which isn't actually a mystery, cause you're going to read it in like a minute. Or not, perhaps you will just scroll through the photos and please be my guest, I rarely read blog posts and I encourage you to do the same ;). Now:


Today is my  21st Birthday. So yay. I don't have any big plans, due to lack of funds, other than buying some macaroons and watching Mad Men. I did a quick Google search of 21st b-days and found a plethora of pink and leopard print signs scream: Keep Calm and Get Drunk...or something to that affect.
EX:


Now, don't get me wrong, I am excited as any girl turning 21 today, and believe I am aware of the fact that there are quite a few. And yes, I am now able to legally purchase (purchase, my darlings, not drink, cause believe me I've been doing that for years) alcohol. But am I ready to turn this momentous occasion into a full on barf fest, in Vegas wearing some hideous  hot pink dress and too much make-up? Fuck no. I had made plans for this evening prior to realizing how fucking broke I am, and it was simply dinner and drinks with my Best Friend John, whose 22nd Birthday is tomorrow. Yes, we are 364 days apart. Seeing as neither one of us has any money for gas or dinner or drinks, we are doing nothing. I am doing nothing, and that's okay. I guess...Mostly I just want to share with these AH-MAZING Birthday cakes I found on Google; they're pretty self explanatory and totally crush worthy, take a look:





 

 The last one is just a cute party idea, but the previous? I believe that EVERY, not just the one's for newly turned 21 year old, but EVERY birthday cake should feature a barfing Barbie.
The below picture was what appeared on my Google screen after I had signed on and went to search for images of our next topic. How sweet Google, and thanks!







Onto more interesting things, Mia Wallace from Pulp Fiction.
I have been in love with this movie since I was i want to say at least 1 year old. I'm assuming 1, because the film was released in 1994, I was born in '93 and I remember my childhood with the movie so, subsequently, yes. I love this movie. My favorite character? Should be fairly obvious, Mia Wallace. And John Travolta's character, Vincent Vega. Most importantly, the entire sequence of scenes that happens between them could be considered my favorite "part" of the film, especially the "twist". (The dance, not the part where Mia dies, then comes back to life) Any who...I just thought it was worth sharing with you guys my little obsession, but also, I've been contemplating a Mia Wallace haircut...or at least bangs, I will also refer you to some Bettie Bang, which is what they're called in the "pin-up" world, photos of random Google participants and of course Salma Hayek as she was in the film "Savages", which I really love btw.
But First, some note worthy Mia-ism, as I like to call them:





favorite





For the record: This has always been my favorite look; you know what I mean right? Right after she has been revived and her hair is matted with sweat and her eyes dark and sad. I don't know why but her vulnerability in the last scene of this sequence is just too beautiful to ignore. I think I even once said that I want to look like that always, wounded but surviving, and still spouting depressingly droll jokes about tomatoes. 













Cast photo with Tarantino <3















 

 

 






Note the brown/burgundy matte nail polish <3
















 And now the PART 2 of our Mia Wallace Adoration Rant, which accidentally turned into a very serious discussion about Bettie Bangs:
Bettie Bangs, are of course called Bettie Bangs due to the infamous, Bettie Page, who wore them as her signature throughout her Pin Up career, examples as follows:

















Now, I've been contemplating Bettie Bangs for quite some time now and am rather distressed at my indecisiveness. I know I don't look good with bangs, cause my face is rather "short" if that makes any sense, but then I think, if they're Bettie Bangs, they can be shorter, thus lengthening my face. I'm still undecided, until I can make up my fucking mind, I'll just drool over these dreamy gals and their bangs:
This is Olivia Singer btw, the link to this article is right here


Of course Salma used a wig for this role, but I love the look on her.





Of course there is the option of Clip-In Bangs, which I have never used but I know some beauties (not in real life though) who utilize their interchangeability. I know Micheline Pitt uses them, and Vanessa Frankenstein did; she recently cut her hair to have the authentic Bettie look, I would definitely consider this, most of the time, if it's styled right, you can't tell the difference.





Beyonce probably has a whole head piece in, but anyway...




 Vanessa Frankenstein does an entire tutorial on Bettie Clip-in Bangs, the link is here , I recommend taking a look, she has great examples and goes really into detail.


Unrelated, I just love her in this pic <3






She looks like the most bad-ass Barbie ever.


























 

 
















 There is also the option of the Rolled Bettie Bang, or Bumper Bang as it's commonly known, which I've done maybe once or twice before, but never in a way that made me want to commit to it:



 



Not bangs, but still too cute to ignore.







































Sweater Weather:
No, not the annoying ass song played constantly on K-ROQ. The actual season when you bust out your sweater, because it's fucking cold. 
Urban Outfitters did an adorably cozy Look Book a while back, and i thought I'd share, in case you hadn't seen it yet:
Shop the looks here. 































So...about Halloween.
It has seriously been on my mind since January. Yes, I'm that kind of gal, and now that it's right around the corner well, my heart is bursting with "omg!!" can't even describe it happiness.
 



Moving on....For the last few years, despite my Halloween and all things creepy adoration, I have to admit I haven't really dressed up. This year, a friend and I are supposed to "go" as Brad and Janet from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.


I've already found the perfect dress, it's here if you want to look or are going to be Janet too and need a dress. I'll probably shorten mine, but after that, all I need is a white cardigan, purse, shoes and hair clips and I'm set. 
The dress itself is by Bea & Dot, I found it on the ModCloth Website. It ranges from sizes XS to 4X. Modcloth calls it the Confectioner's Dream Dress, it's regular priced at $89.99 and right now is 30% off at $62.99. It's currently sold out in my size, so hopefully when it comes back it's still on sale.



Beetlejuice is one of my all time favorite Tim Burton films, and I've always wanted to be Lydia fro Halloween. Mainly as a sort of back-up plan because I already own everything she wears, so I wouldn't need to buy anything to pull it off :)



























































Lastly:
This is from Nylon.com
I really like it.

It's the twins from The Shining...get it?


 


















No comments:

Post a Comment